News and Events
CHOP - Church House of Pancakes!
Sunday, February 26, 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. in Keith Hall
Come celebrate the last Sunday before Lent begins when the youth will host their annual pancake brunch. All proceeds will benefit the youth service trip to New Orleans this summer.
Youth Choir at Christ Church, Tuesday, February 28 and Sunday, March 5: Organist and Choirmaster Tom Smith and Youth Missioner Rita Yoe invite all children/youth of the parish to the third of this season's opportunities for young people to participate in the music ministry of Christ Church. On Tuesday, February 28, 6:30 p.m., families will gather in Keith Hall for a casual dinner of pizza and salad. Contributions of nut-free desserts are welcome. At 7:00 p.m., children/youth move to the Choir Room to rehearse a choral anthem to be sung at the 9:00 a.m. service on Sunday, March 5. Parents will remain in Keith Hall for fellowship. Questions? Contact Tom Smith. NOTE: In order to participate, children must read at a first grade level.
Wednesday, March 1, 7:30 a.m., 12 noon, 6:00 p.m.
Ash Wednesday services will take place in the church with the Imposition of Ashes at all services and a full choir present at the 6:00 p.m. service. Nursery care will be available in the Parish Hall Nursery beginning at 5:30 p.m.
Tuesday Evening Lenten Programs
March 7 – April 4, 6:30 p.m.
In Lent, programs for adults and children will begin with a joint dinner in Keith Hall. After dinner, the children move to the church to set off from Platform 9-3/4 and head to Hogwarts School, as we read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, and ask what it means to be called to serve the greater good with our gifts, and how friendships make us stronger. Adults will remain in Keith Hall to consider some of the most profound texts dealing with the human experience, beginning with an Introduction by the Rev. Frank Wade on March 7. Learn more ...
Lenten Quiet Morning: Who We Really Are – Exploring our Baptismal Identity:
Saturday, March 11, 9:00 a.m. - 12:15 p.m. with the Reverend Martin Smith
We will explore the gift of our baptismal identity, realizing more deeply that we are already “in the deep end” with God, immersed in the love of the Father, united with the person of Jesus, and bearing within us the intimate presence of the Spirit. The Rev. Martin Smith will give three presentations, and guidance for prayer for the quiet times. He is known throughout the Episcopal Church and beyond for his exploration of contemporary spirituality and his widely read books, including The Word is Very Near You, A Season for the Spirit, Love Set Free, Reconciliation, and Compass and Stars.
Young Adults Lenten Exploration: Seeking Wisdom in Youth (from God and from within!), Sundays March 12, 19 and 26, 1:00-2:00 p.m., at St. John’s Church, Georgetown
Please join other young adults (20’s and 30’s) from neighboring parishes for casual conversation and fellowship. Clergy from a variety of Georgetown parishes will offer opening thoughts about sources of Wisdom, followed by informal discussion to be held Saint John’s Church, 3240 O Street, N.W.
GMC Winter Shelter Returns to Christ Church
Sunday, March 12 – Sunday, March 26
Christ Church, in partnership with the Georgetown Ministry Center, will open its doors to the homeless in our community. Volunteers are needed to provide meals, companionship, and overnight hospitality to approximately 10 to 12 homeless men and women who will be our guests. For more information or to volunteer, please contact Catherine Burns or call her at 202-471-4380.
- This Week at Christ Church: Click here
- Children, Youth and Family Events: Click here
- Courier Newsletter, December 2016: Click here
CHRIST CHURCH COMMUNICATIONS
Christ Church employs a number of vehicles to publicise services, events and other activities at the church. These include, among others: the weekly email, This Week at Christ Church, the church website, The Courier newsletter, Sunday Announcements - both oral and printed in the Sunday leaflets, special printed materials, the calendar and special flyers and emails.
- This Week at Christ Church is emailed every Wednesday to all members of the parish. It contains information for the upcoming week, upcoming items for your calendars, programs for adults and children, outreach events and updates, etc. If you are not receiving the email, please inform the Parish Office so that we can update your information in the email listing.
- The church website is a resource for more extensive information on all programs and activities at the church. It is continually being updated with the latest news and information. The Calendar is accessible from the website - click on the link at the top right of any page.
- The Courier, newsletter is published several times a year and mailed to every member of the parish. It contains articles by clergy, staff and others, as well as information on activities and events.
- Sunday Announcements are provided both orally at services by a member of the clergy and printed in the leaflet. We invite you to take the leaflet home with you and put important dates on your calendars at home.